Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Last Lecture (Randy Pausch)

As part of my 2012 new year resolutions, I have decided to read more books. When I was a kid I used to love reading so much that I would sit for hours by the window in my room just reading.

So this year I have decided to get back into it.

My sister recommended me The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. It’s a short book written by a professor called Randy Pausch who unfortunately was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. In his last few months, he decided to give a last lecture so that his final teachings could be recorded for his three little children. You can also see the lecture on his website onhttp://www.thelastlecture.com/. It’s not the most brilliantly written but it does make you reflect on your life, which serves its purpose I suppose.

Randy Pausch writes about his childhood dreams and in one way or another, how he had managed to achieve them.

Thinking back now, I don’t remember what my childhood dreams were. I never had big dreams of going to space. Or building a train. Or becoming a ballerina. Now I suppose my dreams are to travel the world. Having lived in Italy for a year (and consequently Europe), my eyes are now set on the Big Apple. Living it up in New York - should be a challenge!

It’s still an idealistic dream, as I think dreams should be, yet it’s still an adult pragamatic one. New York is the place of fashion and culture. That’s the idealism talking. But New York is also the place for new job opportunities. That’s the adult in me talking.

So if I can go back to my childhood, what will the child in me say? And what will the child in you say? What are your childhood dreams?

No comments: